We have a wooden advent calendar with 24 doors on it. In each one I put a mini ornament to hang on our wall hanging tree, and also a slip of paper with a fun activity to do that day. I figured it all out at the end of November and made sure to include all the parties and activities that I knew about, so I wouldn't over schedule the day. But it was still crazy. Here's what we ended up doing:
Dec 1- Decorated the Christmas Tree
Dec 2 – Had a
Lasagna Dinner with the Oldhams and Walkers and watched the Christmas
Devotional.
Dec 3 – Went
shopping to pick out a Christmas Ornament
Dec 4 – Assembled
and mailed a care package for Daddy.
Dec 5- Put together a Christmas puzzle.
Dec 6 – Live
Nativity in Henderson, and Ice Skating
Dec 7 –Luke’s
Christmas playgroup at the house from 9:30-11:30. In the evening we played a family game.
Day 8 – Ward
Christmas Party
Day 9 –Christmas
Book – Read "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever"
Day 10 –
Day 11 – GRINCH NIGHT
Day 12 –
Day 13 – Relief
Society Christmas Party
Day 14 – Cole’s
Christmas Party at the Stuarts, and Luke’s Christmas Party at the Dustins. Aspen spending the weekend, along with Taylor and
James Jenkins.
Day 15 – Mia’s
Christmas party at Lexi’s. Visited
the Bellagio to see the conservatory.
Day 16- Visiting
Teaching open house at the Stevensons.
Day 17- Delivered
Neighbor Gifts
Day 18-
Day 19-
Day 20- Luke’s
Preschool Christmas Party. Military
Friend Christmas party at the Oldhams 7pm
Day 21 – Nutcracker Field Trip. Decorated a Gingerbread House.
Day 22 – Drew’s
Work Christmas Party.
Day 23 –Christmas
Piano Recital at Osbornes. Then
watched the POLAR EXPRESS and drank Hot Cocoa.
DAY 24 –
CHRISTMAS EVE. Dinner with friends
and act out the nativity. Open
Christmas Eve Gift.
I had to tell the kids up front that we might not be able to do EVERYTHING. And as you can see, a few nights were just to crazy to make the activity work. That's why they are blank. I think what added to the exhaustion was that we also had basketball practice twice a week, volleyball practice twice a week, games every saturday, piano lessons and practice, scouts, and activity days.
I found that I was going to bed at about 1:30am every night. I didn't get enough of the shopping done while Drew was able to help me, so I suffered in the end. I was starting to turn into a scrooge. The Reese family was so sweet to invite us over for Christmas Day Dinner and I told them that I was sorry but I was going to spend the entire day in my pajamas and do my best to lay around like a lazy person. And that's what I did. Well, almost. I didn't get ready at all, but I spent most of the day assembling things and running from kid to kid to make sure things were working.
I'm documenting this Christmas schedule so I can remind myself next year NEVER to walk into December unprepared again. I thought I was doing great with having my Christmas cards done and stamped before Dec 1st, but I could have done better than that. Christmas is a time for love and happiness and being with family. I need to make sure I am able to feel that!
As soon as Christmas was over I felt so free. The major stress was gone. The kids were happy. I had pulled it off. Just in the knick of time too. If I had to go one more week at the pace I may have killed over.




1 comment:
You are super mom Melissa!! Just reading your list made me exhausted :)
Post a Comment