THE FAMILY. We were a strange little band of characters trudging through life sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that bound us all together. ~Erma Bombeck

Friday, February 05, 2010

FINALLY HOME!!!!

Yesterday, after 164 days, Drew finally arrived home! We surprised him at the airport. We told him we'd be meeting him at the baggage claim, but instead we got security passes and met him as he got off the plane. We arrived at the gate 15 minutes early, so the kids killed some time playing their DS's. Luke's "DS" - AKA the Leapster
Mia worked really hard on her sign. It was done a full month before he headed home.
Cole watching the plane pull up to the gate.

Mia was ready with the sign.
I loved the surprised look on his face. He changed out of his uniform back in Minnesota.

People were staring and cheering and we were crying. It was awesome.

Our family shot was a little blurry (which happens often when I hand my camera over), but that's OK. It's good to get a photo of all 5 1/2 of us.
Since his arrival home, it's been non-stop fun. After we left the airport we went to dinner at Chili's (mia's choice) and headed home. Drew was exhausted from the day and a half of straight travel, so we let him sleep a bit. He's doing well and we're so excited to have him back.

17 comments:

Whitney Jo said...

Ok, that made me cry. That is so awesome! I am so happy your family is back together and Drew is home safe. Thanks to your entire family for your huge sacrifice to serve our country!

Kao said...

Hurray!! I'm sure you guys are so excited!! That's awesome he's home.

Melissa, you don't look pregnant at all!!

Martin Family said...

I am so happy for your family. Enjoy having Drew back home. You look great by the way.

Kimberli said...

Well... I'm tearing up right along with the people at the airport. What a happy day! A BIG THANK YOU to your WHOLE family for Drew's service.

Julie said...

I'm so glad that Drew is home safe and sound! Must be a great feeling! I had no idea you were pregnant. Congratulations amiga!

Cailleau Family said...

That made me cry as well. Love the extra emotions you get when you are pregnant. Welcome home Drew!!!! Glad to hear you made it back safe. We love you.

Amber Jensen said...

So happy for you guys! I remember what a great feeling that was!!! Have a great time!

The Wright Family said...

So good to hear you are all united again and that Drew is home safe!

Kevin and Kristen said...

Yea! So glad that everything went well and that he is safely home. Enjoy!

JenniferCarter said...

We are so glad your family is reunited. Single parenting is not for me...I think you agree. Drew, thanks for your service. I loved watching our kids reconnect with dad. No one let him out of their sight. ENJOY!

Kristen said...

I'm tearing up all over again. Drew looks fabulous and totally tan. Melissa you look fabulous too, but I see you almost every day! Love the Swasey family tons and appreciate their service and sacrifice both at home and abroad.

Jill said...

Yeah, like everyone else that made me cry. So precious. I am so glad he is home!!! What a relief.

Jill said...

Also, I have to say that your belly is WAAAAYYYY smaller than mine.

Unknown said...

We are so happy for your family! So glad Drew made it home safe and sound.

Jill said...

Sorry, one more comment. I think it is adorable that you and Drew match. It looks like you planned it. :)

Kaydee said...

Yeah!! It is so wonderful to see your beautiful family reunited. I agree I got teary eyed as well. Thank you for you sacrifice.

Kari said...

I sure miss you guys, am excited for your new baby (Melissa you look beautiful of course) and am glad Drew is home! Kari