THE FAMILY. We were a strange little band of characters trudging through life sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that bound us all together. ~Erma Bombeck

Friday, October 02, 2009

The Fun Things I Do

Now that the weather is cool enough, it's time to refinish some furniture. I bought this YUCKY coffee table at the goodwill for $10, which was a rip off in it's starting condition. As you can see, it wasn't even washed of its dried on food.

I wish I had pictures of the kids helping with the project. Cole and Luke scrubbed it with soap and scrub brushes. And Mia, YES Mia, sanded it with the electric sander. She thought she was pretty grown up. It took two days, but here's the result after one coat of primer and two coats of paint. The kids love it. Now they have a platform to stand on, before jumping on the couch.
Here's a tip: If you haven't repainted furniture before, make sure you use semi-gloss paint. Once I used Gloss, and it was awful. Shiny but always felt kindof sticky to the touch, and left fingerprints. Stick with the semi-gloss. That's what I used here.

2 comments:

Jill said...

$10 is a pretty dang good deal when you see the finished product. It looks beautiful.

Cailleau Family said...

Wow. That looks great. You should come and decorate my house.