So, I've never been much of a runner before, but as I get older and travel through my mid-life crisis age, I figured that now was a good time to challenge myself a little. It started when my sister Jill (who's not a runner either) called me and told me she wanted to run a marathon. Crazy, I know. She wanted me to join her and I quickly said "No Way". Within a few days my friend Marquessa told me she was going to run a HALF marathon on April 30th. Which is still crazy, but I figured it was possible. So I called Jill up and asked her what she thought. After talking it over we decided to go for it. We started the 10 week trainer and discovered that it might be possible to actually finish this goal. So it's been fun so far.
On March 12th I was able to put my training to the test by running in my first official race. LOTS of my friends were participating in the 6 Tunnels to Hoover Dam race in support of our friend Patricia who is suffering from a debilitating illness that affects her muscles and glands. She really wanted to accomplish this goal so we decided to go out there and support her. And I must say, it was a WONDERFUL experience. We were able to run through these amazing tunnels that years ago served as the path to carry supplies to the construction of the Hoover Dam. So cool.
I ran the 5K in just over 28 minutes, which gave me 9 minute miles. I took 13th place for my age group (of like sixty something women). We ran on gravel, which was different than I was used to, and much harder. And I wasn't used to weaving in and out of people on a small trail. It was a great learning experience.
Here's a photo before the race started.
After finishing we headed back up the trail and met up with Patricia and the rest of the group and followed her in to the finish line. Patricia (number 316) ran the last part of the race. We were so happy for her.

Too bad I don't have a photo of the back of the shirt. It's says "I finished the Dam Race" with a pictures of the Hoover Dam Bridge. Patricia had them made. Love it.










4 comments:
Looks like you guys had a blast. I don't think I would have loved the gravel and weaving in and out of people in those tunnels either. Lucky you don't get closterphobic!
Waty to go! When is your marathon?
Good job!
Great job running the race. You look great!
Post a Comment